As we start the September holidays with some fairly ropey weather, it means that Police manning Operation Spring Break have their work cut out for them as the usual “fools in the damp” seem destined to continue their dumb ways.
Local Police, Police Minister Bill Byrne and Commissioner Ian Stewart are urging motorists to stay safe on the roads these school holidays as a key blitz continues.
Operation Spring Break 2016 runs until October 7th and we can expect to see a much increased police presence on our roads.
The coordinated state-wide initiative for the September and October school holidays is aimed at reducing the number of serious injury and fatal traffic crashes.
The Minister is urging drivers to be aware of speeding, impaired driving, seatbelts, fatigue, distracted driving, defective vehicles.
Commissioner Stewart says police would target traffic offences to make Queensland roads safer for everyone.
“Across these school holidays, police will maintain a highly visible presence on Queensland’s highways and roads,” Commissioner Stewart said.
During last year’s operation, which ran from September 18 to October 9, police detected 1,083 drink drivers and issued more than 1,157 infringement notices for use of mobile phones.
“This is a state-wide community issue and our police need everyone’s support to stop people being killed or seriously injured on our roads,” Commissioner Stewart said.
“Drivers can ensure they are doing their part every time they get behind the wheel when they stick to the speed limit, do not drive tired, do not drive drunk or inhibited by drugs, wear their seatbelt and ensure their full attention is on the road.”